Chad is a veteran software product manager, interaction designer and technologist. He is a founding partner at SPARK6. This is his personal website.
I am a product manager, interaction designer and entrepreneur with nearly 20 years experience in the development and management of commercial and enterprise web and mobile software. My background covers a diverse range of categories including e-commerce, entertainment, digital, media and brand integration.
I'm currently the owner of AMP.build a small "design and build" shop in Northern California. My past work experience includes eBay Inc (5 years), Knight-Ridder Digital, Next Medium (brand integration platform for the television, film and game industries), and Trucker Deluxe urban and skate apparel.
- Product Management
- User Experience
- Mobile Applications
- Web Applications
- Interaction Design (UX)
- Information Architecture
AMP.build – Chico, CA – 2014 to Present
Learn more about me and my agency on our website.
- Product Management
- Interaction Design
Spark6 – Santa Monica, CA – 2011 to 2014
Oversaw product, technology and business development.
- Chief Technology Officer
- Business Development
- Strategic Partnerships
- Product Management
- Interaction Design
Sr. Product Manager – App Platform, Tools & Widgets
Ebay, Inc – San Jose, CA – 2010 to March 2011
The Application Platform team was responsible for creating new internal business services platforms for eBay Inc. The goal was to enable agile development of web and mobile consumer experiences.
- Successfully launched and iterated on the eBay Application Platform to support the launch of eBay's new fashion vertical (http://fashion.ebay.com)
- UX for eBay’s App Store (http://apps.ebay.com) that grew to over 500K sellers generating over 1M app subscriptions for external app developers.
- Built enterprise platform technology that gave business users the ability to conduct A/B testing, Multipage, and Multivariate testing via drag-and-drop interfaces. Think of it as Unbounce or Optimizely for the enterprise.
- UX and presentation layer product requirements for eBay Technology Platforms and Tools that enabled eBay engineers to requisition middleware and cloud infrastructure in minutes rather than weeks.
Sr. Product Manager - Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
Ebay, Inc – San Jose, CA – August 2008 to 2010
As a Senior Product Manager on the Verticals, Clothing, Shoes & Accessories team, I was responsible for helping build a best-in-class tailored shopping experience for our Fashion buyers & sellers. In this role, I planned and executed key tracks under the fashion category on eBay. I managed the product throughout the product lifecycle, including defining the product vision, building the business case based on financial cost benefit projections, gathering and prioritizing product features, documenting detailed product requirements (in the form of user stories), coordinating with engineering teams to deliver the product within multiple release cycles (Agile), and managing the success of the product in production.
Abstract: A method and system are provided for e-commerce marketplace users to provide contents for social networking platform integration, such as a user sharing purchases with friends so that the user may show new clothes to friends on a social networking service.
Director of Product and Engineering
GMG Entertainment – Santa Monica, CA – August 2007 – July 2008
Defined and managed the development and launch of http://alpha.thenetWorks.com – part news site, part on demand video, and part social network, thenetWorks is a vertical job site for people working in the film, television and music industries. It utilizes the latest in Open Source technologies and is written in Ruby on Rails.
- Recruited, hired and manage our existing engineering team and about 7 outside vendors (10-12 total)
- Wrote specifications, created all interaction designs, and managed all aspects of product delivery
- Researched and selected a Content Delivery Network (CDN) partner for the site’s video content
- Implemented and enforced an agile development process with 1 week release cycles
- Manage all ongoing day to day aspects of development scheduling and resourcing
- Designed and launched thenetworks CareerHigh application for Facebook – a viral component and traffic driver for the parent site
- Wrote specifications and created interaction designs for GMG’s analytics and reporting system
- Designed and launched an online pop-culture trivial game for Facebook
- Designed and wrote specifications for the CMS portion of the trivia game – allows producers to create dynamic game content on the fly with little or no technical expertise
Sr. Product Manager – Brand Integration
NextMedium, Inc. – Mountain View, CA – March 2007 – July 2007
Helped to define and launch the leading brand integration platform, Embed, consisting of on-demand web applications for measuring, managing and marketing more than $5 billion per year in product placement opportunities across the TV, film, music and video game industries.
- Routinely meet with existing and potential customers (ranging from brand marketers and advertising agencies to production companies and television networks) to gather high-level business requirements and translate into detailed market requirements and product definition documents
- Help develop and drive the end-to-end product roadmap for three succinct applications covering both the buying and selling components of product placement as well as NextMedium’s internal tool for managing inventory, transactions, and accounts
- Continually research and study the overall product placement space and television advertising industry, including technology landscape, leading tools (such as IAG, iTVX, Place*Views), business models, competition, and user roles and behaviors
- Using SCRUM agile development process, work side-by-side with executive and engineering teams to steer development resources and scheduling
- Define and execute corporate and product blog strategy – primary goal to position NextMedium as the thought-leaders in brand/product integration and placement
Sr. Product Manager – Search
Ebay, Inc – San Jose, CA – November 2005 to March 2007
- Partner with cross-functional team to create and execute new Tickets vertical search experience on eBay Core
- Own key business and product metrics and drive major improvement through eBay Stores and Tickets verticals
- Work closely with fellow product managers in defining eBay’s next generation search product roadmap
- Constantly serve as both an internal and external advocate for eBay search technologies
- Work closely with product managers, designers, developers, and analysts to document product requirements
- Understand and evangelize the needs of the eBay Tickets user community – apply these lessons to next generation search experience
Product Manager – Online Classifieds
Knight Ridder Digital – San Jose, CA – April 2004 to November 2005
- Project Catalyst (Phase I, II) – Knight Ridder’s core classified ad application for all 28 national markets. Manage classified ad mappings for reverse print (web to print) publication. Own business requirements around user submitted photos and workflow.
- Responsible for key vendor relationship for payment processing,and image uploading/hosting.
- Coordinating and authorizing payment and refund reconciliation via our call-center
- Determine purpose, goals, and constraints of projects and establish detailed product specifications
- Continuous Process Improvement – includes facilitation of a post-mortem immediately after a project is complete, aggregating input and communicating the results back to working team, operating team and executive sponsor(s)
- Manage usability testing sessions including setup, moderation and observation
- Driving mission-critical product initiatives around print-to-web classified category mappings across Knight Ridder’s 28 national markets
- HitBox – Project Managed the implementation and rollout of HitBox reporting and analytics for all markets – launched on time and on budget
- RSS Deployment – coordinated the implementation and rollout of RSS technology across Knight Ridder’s 28 national news sites – launched on time and on budget
- Have received numerous above and beyond awards
Travidia, Inc. – Chico, CA – April 2002 to April 2004
- Create all Interaction Designs / Schematics for Travidia’s next generation product line
- Write detailed Functional Requirements Documents
- Manage deployments of newly signed partners on Travidia’s Integrated Marketplace as well as post-deployment technical contact for these partners
- Conduct requirements and business process analysis as directed – coordinate with development team
- Create Market Requirements Documents and “mini-specs” for site deployments and redesigns
- Work closely with the CTO to prioritize and manage work load for the entire development department – project manage when appropriate